The Art Of Learning
No, this isn't some preachy post on how one should go about learning this or that. No, this isn't a self-help blabbering from someone who could hardly get himself to learn even the basics of the industry he is currently immersed in. No, I will not tell how things should be done. No, no, no, no!
Fact is, I might as well start learning the art itself. See, come 4 months, I will have been with the company for 2 years. And I still don't know what I'm doing. Or, I do know what it is that I'm doing, but the very nature for which I'm doing what it is that I'm doing remains vague. It's one thing to admit that the industry itself is perplexing, but it's a-whole-nother excuse to say that it kinda is hard to learn it.
When I was being interviewed, I told them upfront that I knew nothing of it and yes, I was willing to learn. I was being honest. There aren't any formal trainings on it - a few how-to sessions do take place. And that's helpful. But really, there isn't any bible on it. Nada! There's always Wikipedia to source info from, so they say. Have I tried it? Once. Or maybe a few times, in fact. But it's not that easy. No, it's a wee bit boring.
That's the problem - trying to find the easy way out. Frankly, I know there's really no easier way. But seeing some of my colleagues trump me with their matter-of-fact, all-knowing, don't-even-think-of-second-guessing-me tirades, it really makes me wanna know everything ASAP. Like, NOW. But you never get to the peak without even climbing a step. No. How many times have I hoped that I could think things into being. Ha! If only...
I need to work on this art of learning sooner or later. I'd rather do it sooner, but if that entails taking some time outside of the office to actually start learning, well... Sigh. Why can't I just get a grasp of things with a snap of my fingers. I was, for all I can remember, quite the diligent one. But I just couldn't get myself started on this and it's quite annoying! I should set my goals - I will, by the end of the year, know a thing or two about what I'm doing. I promise.
Oh, promises aren't meant to be broken. Promise!


